The mission of the Harrison Band Program
- Weekly Band Schedule
- 2021-2022 Performance Schedule-All Bands
- Militia Band (Marching)- Q1
- Curricular Concert Bands (Freshman, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Raider Pep Band (Basketball)- Q2-Q3 Schedule
- Extra Curricular Jazz Band - Q2/Q3 Schedule
- Band Notes Newsletter
- Student Handbook
- Grading Policy
- Concert Review Assignment
- 2020-21 Harrison Band Memory Book
- Private Lessons
- Band Booster Info
Concert Time and Details Plan A for Auditorium Concert
- 6:00 pm Call time for Freshmen and Jazz 1 on Stage,
- 6:30 Concert Begins with Jazz 1 performing first
- 7:00 Freshman Concert Band performs / CALL TIME FOR INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED BANDS
- 7:15 INTERMISSION- Freshmen band dismissed and should leave with parents. Int Band onstage / Adv Band in Audience
- 7:30 Concert Resumes with Intermediate Concert Band performing / Adv Band in Audience
- 7:50 Advanced Concert Band performs / Int Band in Audience
- 8:15 Concert Ends
Plan B- If concert ends up in Gym everyone comes at 6 concert starts at 6:30 and we perform straight through with no intermission.
- Dress for all bands is our Navy Polo Shirt, Khaki (Tan) dress pants, Dress shoes and dark socks. This was in the opening day info and has been in Band Notes.
- OUr vendor has had supply chain delays in getting our shirts. They are supposed to be delivered today. If that happens, we will get the orders out to the kids on Tuesday during school.
- If we are missing some sizes we will attempt to cover everyone using loaners we have on hand. If we can't cover someone for size, any dark colored shirt you may have will be ok with the Khaki pants and dress shoes for this concert.
- All shirts and other band here will get here...eventually. You will have them as soon as we do.
The 2021-22 Marching Band roster is closed for most sections once Band Camp week begins. Please contact Mr. Cotten if you are wanting to join late, but be aware that may not be possible.
Militia Band Disney Trip
Adult Chaperone Info and Payment Schedule - Please note the Chaperone needs have been met and there are a number of Chaperones on the waitlist already. Once students have signed up (Mid-August) any remaining seats will be released to the waitlist chaperones based on when they requested.
Announcements, assignments and grading for these courses will be posted using the Canvas classroom management system
Freshman (Beginning) Concert Band is open to all 9th grade band students. The Freshman band meets in three
Intermediate Concert Band is open to all band students
Advanced Concert Band (Wind Ensemble) is by selection/audition based on ability, attitude, participation, and instrumentation needs. Chamber Winds competes in the ISSMA State Qualifications Festival and performs standard ISSMA group I literature. Private lessons and access to a professional quality instrument are recommended for this ensemble. Chamber Winds
Raider Pep Band (Basketball Band) is open to all currently enrolled band members who wish to join, and meet the Director’s standards concerning attitude and participation. The Pep Band rehearses and performs outside of school late-October through February
Instrumentation: Pep Band is open to all wind instruments.
Sign-up: Online sign-up will be completed in mid-October.
Extra Curricular Jazz Band is a beginning/intermediate level Jazz Band that is open to all currently enrolled band members who play saxophone, trumpet, trombone, piano, bass or drums and meet the Director’s standards concerning attitude and participation. The band rehearses once a week during
Although there are some standards all students must meet, it is our policy that students are graded on their improvement rather than a rigid set of standards. This mastery learning approach allows students of all talent and ability levels to be judged fairly, and according to their own efforts. As students’ progress through the various levels of the Band program, more effort is expected of them. Student grades in Band will be based on several different modes of assessment:
- Concert/Contest Performance is both required and graded.
- Playing Tests covering instrumental technique over assigned musical passages.
- Tests/Quizzes/Assignments over music theory, history and general musical knowledge.
- Attitude/Participation will be evaluated by instructors on a weekly basis.
- Concert Review of a College or Professional level instrumental performance each semester.
Bonus Points will be awarded toward Attitude/Participation grade in the following areas:
Extra-CurricularParticipation (Marching, Pep, Jazz, Musical Pit)
- Private Lessons (confirmation required)
- Solo & Ensemble (additional entries beyond required)
- Honor Bands/Camps/Clinics (confirmation required)
- Outside Performances (confirmation required)
- Concert Reviews (beyond 1 required)
Quarterly Grades will be computed based on total points earned in these areas:
- Concert Performance
- Playing Test(s)
- Attitude and Participation
B=80% C=70% D=60% F= 50% or less
- A 100 point written exam will be administered during the Final Exam period each semester.
- Semester Grades will be based on total points using the same scale as quarterly grade.
In any group of people there are rules in place that help to maintain order. We have a few simple rules that will help us to accomplish everything we need to do in band classes.
- Follow directions the first time asked.
- Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.
- No insults, name-calling or profanity.
- Touch only equipment to which you are assigned.
- Have all necessary equipment ready for rehearsal.
- No food, drinks, candy or gum in the band room.
Positive Consequences- Research has shown that it is much better to reward positive behavior when possible in order to bring about learning. We will use a number of positive consequences including: Praise, Positive Parent Contacts, and Opportunity to Participate in Extra-Curricular Bands, Opportunity to Participate in Band Trips, Awards.
Negative Consequences- Some behaviors are so detrimental to the class that they need to be addressed with negative consequences. These consequences are applied only when a student chooses not to follow the rules. The more the student makes negative choices, the higher the consequences. Some behaviors are so disruptive that they will lead to immediate removal from class with a discipline referral.
Concert Review- Students are required to attend and review a College or Professional level includes their instrument each semester. Many free concerts are provided by PU Bands each semester. Review Form may be completed online.
Stay informed of our schedule and make sure students are present for all rehearsals and performances!
Members of the Harrison Band program are highly encouraged to seek private instruction on their individual instrument. This is truly the best method for rapid advancement on any instrument. Students wishing to advance to the Chamber Winds should be studying their instrument at this level. Also, those students wishing to audition for All-State Band, or take Solos to contest at the Group 1 level should be taking lessons. Private lessons are available at a reasonable cost through a number of local teachers.
This list is not comprehensive. Please let us know of
*Celeste Edwards 448-9808
Keilah Bailey 490-2250
Amanda Welter (765) 357-4235
*Kaitlin Wright 421-7306
Amanda Goodspeed 490-9558
*Stephanie Mauer 412-2449
Danny Weiss 404-0919
*Stephanie Mauer 412-2449
Danny Weiss 404-0919
Ned Boyd 412-4918 (Jazz Improv)
Ken Goff 765-714-1252 email@example.com
Dr. Paul Geraci 765.490.9349
Chris Moser firstname.lastname@example.org
Marilyn Renner 532-8613
Rachel Amick 765 714 0486
*Jim Wells email@example.com
Laura Sommer 347/524-6018
*Lynn Colwell 430-2171 (TB-E-TU-Jazz Bass)
Michael Ritchie 765-426-9159
Bill Kissinger 497-1340 (TB/E)
Ryan Burnette firstname.lastname@example.org (E-TU)
Don Issacs 474-6778 (E)
Mike Plake 414-3816 (TU, E, Bass Tb)
*Jason Caudill 426-2059
Dr. Pam Nave 494-3952 (PU
*denotes HHS Sectional Instructors
Did you know that your United Way contribution can benefit the Harrison Band Boosters? Since the Band Boosters are now designated a 501
William Henry Harrison Band Boosters, Inc.
5701 N. CR 50 W.
West Lafayette, IN 47906 USA