The mission of the Harrison Band Program
- Weekly Band Schedule
- 2017-18 Performance Schedule-All Bands
- Student Handbook
- Grading Policy
- Curricular Concert Bands (Freshman, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Militia Band (Marching)- Q1 / Fall 2017 Schedule
- Extra Curricular Jazz Band - Q2/Q3 Schedule
- Raider Pep Band (Basketball)- Q2-Q3 Schedule
- Band Notes Newsletter
- Band Booster Info
- Private Lessons
- Homecoming week is 9/ 18-22 Rehearsals are M/W/F. Our Militia band family tailgate pitch-in dinner Friday night before the game.
- The week of Sept 25-30 is ISSMA Contest week
. andincludes an extra rehearsal.
- October 6 is our Senior Night Game. Parents of Seniors, please read this info. .
- October 14 is the Showband Spectacular. end of season performance hosting 7 area High School Bands performing on HHS Rickard Field.
Stay informed of our schedule and make sure students are present for all rehearsals and performances!
- Buy e-washes for yourself or purchase one and email it to someone.
- Great gift ideas! (
teachers, students, co-workers, family, stocking stuffers, the list isendless!)
- Your e-washes will be stored in your Crew
Carwashonline account for use any time. And the e-washes never expire!
Although there are some standards all students must meet, it is our policy that students are graded on their improvement rather than a rigid set of standards. This mastery learning approach allows students of all talent and ability levels to be judged fairly, and according to their own efforts. As students’ progress through the various levels of the Band program, more effort is expected of them. Student grades in Band will be based on several different modes of assessment:
- Concert/Contest Performance is both required and graded.
- Playing Tests covering instrumental technique over assigned musical passages.
- Tests/Quizzes/Assignments over music theory, history and general musical knowledge.
- Attitude/Participation will be evaluated by instructors on a weekly basis.
- Concert Review of a College or Professional level instrumental performance each semester.
Bonus Points will be awarded toward Attitude/Participation grade in the following areas:
Extra-CurricularParticipation (Marching, Pep, Jazz, Musical Pit)
- Private Lessons (confirmation required)
- Solo & Ensemble (additional entries beyond required)
- Honor Bands/Camps/Clinics (confirmation required)
- Outside Performances (confirmation required)
- Concert Reviews (beyond 1 required)
Quarterly Grades will be computed based on total points earned in these areas:
- Concert Performance
- Playing Test(s)
- Attitude and Participation
B=80% C=70% D=60% F= 50% or less
- A 100 point written exam will be administered during the Final Exam period each semester.
- Semester Grades will be based on total points using the same scale as quarterly grade.
In any group of people there are rules in place that help to maintain order. We have a few simple rules that will help us to accomplish everything we need to do in band classes.
- Follow directions the first time asked.
- Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.
- No insults, name-calling or profanity.
- Touch only equipment to which you are assigned.
- Have all necessary equipment ready for rehearsal.
- No food, drinks, candy or gum in the band room.
Positive Consequences- Research has shown that it is much better to reward positive behavior when possible in order to bring about learning. We will use a number of positive consequences including: Praise, Positive Parent Contacts, and Opportunity to Participate in Extra-Curricular Bands, Opportunity to Participate in Band Trips, Awards.
Negative Consequences- Some behaviors are so detrimental to the class that they need to be addressed with negative consequences. These consequences are applied only when a student chooses not to follow the rules. The more the student makes negative choices, the higher the consequences. Some behaviors are so disruptive that they will lead to immediate removal from class with a discipline referral.
Announcements, assignments and grading for these courses will be posted using the Canvas classroom management system
Freshman (Beginning) Concert Band is open to all 9th grade band students. The Freshman band meets in three
Intermediate Concert Band is open to all band students
Advanced Concert Band (Wind Ensemble) is by selection/audition based on ability, attitude, participation, and instrumentation needs. Chamber Winds competes in the ISSMA State Qualifications Festival and performs standard ISSMA group I literature. Private lessons and access to a professional quality instrument are recommended for this ensemble. Chamber Winds
Extra Curricular Jazz Band is a beginning/intermediate level Jazz Band that is open to all currently enrolled band members who play saxophone, trumpet, trombone, piano, bass or drums and meet the Director’s standards concerning attitude and participation. The band rehearses once a week during
Check here for
Raider Pep Band (Basketball Band) is open to all currently enrolled band members who wish to join, and meet the Director’s standards concerning attitude and participation. The Pep Band rehearses and performs outside of school late-October through February
Check here for
Did you know that your United Way contribution can benefit the Harrison Band Boosters? Since the Band Boosters are now designated a 501
William Henry Harrison Band Boosters, Inc.
5701 N. CR 50 W.
West Lafayette, IN 47906 USA
Members of the Harrison Band program are highly encouraged to seek private instruction on their individual instrument. This is truly the best method for rapid advancement on any instrument. Students wishing to advance to the Chamber Winds should be studying their instrument at this level. Also, those students wishing to audition for All-State Band, or take Solos to contest at the Group 1 level should be taking lessons. Private lessons are available at a reasonable cost through a number of local teachers.
This list is not comprehensive. Please let us know of
Keilah Bailey 490-2250
*Celeste Edwards 448-9808
Amanda Welter (765) 357-4235
*Sharron Howard 583-4178
*Kaitlin Wright 421-7306
Amanda Goodspeed 490-9558
Linda Bennett 463-9843
Stephanie Garner 412-2449
*Sharron Howard 583-4178
Ned Boyd 412-4918 (Jazz Improv)
Dr. Paul Geraci (former
Chris Moser email@example.com
Jake Rogers 440 655-3059
Marilyn Renner 532-8613
Rachel Amick 765 714 0486
*Jim Wells firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Sommer 347/524-6018
*Lynn Colwell 430-2171 (TB-E-TU-Jazz Bass)
Michael Ritchie 765-426-9159
Bill Kisinger 497-1340 (TB/E)
Matt Skiba 430-6213 (TB)
Ryan Burnette email@example.com (E-TU)
Don Issacs 474-6778 (E)
Mike Plake 414-3816 (TU, E, Bass Tb)
*Jason Caudill 426-2059
Dr. Pam Nave 494-3952 (PU
*denotes HHS Sectional Instructors